Traffic accidents are not uncommon. In 2013, they took the lives of 21,132 people. Another 2.05 million were hurt. Many people who are in motorcycle accidents have cases to sue. If you have been in such an accident, there are some things you can and should do to make sure your case is as strong as it possibly can do.
- Get treatment for your injuries. When people are in motorcycle accidents, they often have very serious injuries. From a medical perspective, you need to get health care as soon as you can. Many injuries are not apparent right away. This is especially true when it comes to head injuries. You may have suffered some that you do not know about. You will help the medial professionals help you if you get treatment as soon as you can. In terms of your case, there are a number of reasons you need to get treated for your injuries as soon as you can. The courts do not look kindly on people who file for personal injury lawsuit settlements who did not receive medical treatment. Secondly, you will be able to use all of your records and reports for your case. This documents the severity of your injuries and all of the care that you have received and will need. You will need this to get the best settlement possible.
- Listen to your doctors. You should let all of the medical professional who are helping you with your case know that you are filing a lawsuit. You need to do everything your medical professionals tell you to do. Many times it is necessary for victims in motorcycle accidents to have finished all of the treatments they were prescribed before any damages will be determined or paid out. Also, get records from all of it so that you have documentation of how much these injuries impacted your life. You need to listen to your doctors and if they tell that you cannot work, you cannot work. If they have told you to do something or not to something and you did not listen, it will hurt your case. All insurance companies would like nothing better than to not have to pay you, do not help them.
- File a police report. These can be very helpful for lawsuits involving motorcycle accidents. No matter how small the accident was, you need official documentation to show it. The police report will also have information that can help you. You may not have taken down the information about the other vehicle involved in the accident. You can also find out about the other driver’s insurance and if they were driving under the influence, the police report will document that.
- Find a good motorcycle accident attorney. Make sure the lawyer you talk to is just that. There are a lot of kinds of law and you need to talk to a specialist in this kind of law. Even under the umbrella of personal injury law, there are multiple subspecialties. A great truck accident lawyer may not be able to help you with your motorcycle accident case. At the very least, you should consult with one. This can make a big difference in how much money you end up getting what you need to recover from your injuries.
- Leave your motorcycle as is. You want to repair your motorcycle but you should not do that. Your bike is a corroborating witness. In all motorcycle accidents, the bike itself is a great piece of evidence. It is hard to deny that an accident was serious when you have a busted up motorcycle. When you talk to a motorcycle accident lawyer, they can get experts to look at the condition of your motorcycle and reconstruct what happened exactly in your accident. That can be very powerful evidence for your case. They can also help with all of your paperwork.
Motorcycle accidents often result in serious and severe injuries. If you have been in one, you will need a lot of care and will most likely need to take some time off of work. You need to be paid enough money so that you can focus on your recovery.