No one really wants to have to sue someone. People may think that it would be great to receive a large settlement from a lawsuit but most do not really want to have to hire a personal injury lawyer. Finding the right lawyer is a hard job but it is possible. These tips cam help you make sure you get the right lawyer for your case.
1. Determine what kind of lawyer you need. Like physician, lawyers specialize. Even under the umbrella of personal injury law, there are accident attorneys, slip and fall lawyers, car accident lawyers and others. Before you set out to find the right lawyer for your case, you need to know what kind of lawyer you need and who will be best able to help you with your case.
2. Talk to your personal network. Given the number of people who sue someone for something every year in the United States, the chances are good that you know someone who has had to hire a personal injury lawyer. This may not be something they talk about a lot so you may not know about that. Ask your friends, family and trusted colleagues and coworkers if they have any experience with personal injury lawyers in your area. One of the best ways to get good products and services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust. Even if you do not hire the same person, this can get your started on the right path.
3. Go online. Talk to the American Bar Associationandnbsp;and check out Nolo.com. They will both be able to help you find information about the personal injury lawyers in your area. Other websites you should check are Yelp and Facebook. Many areas around the country set up Facebook pages to promote local goods and services and where people review and rate local businesses. If you have a name in mind you can ask there about it or you can leave the general question about lawyers in your area.
4. Talk to lawyers you know. If you have ever used a lawyer for anything, they may not be able to help you with your current case but they may be able to help connect you with someone who can. Remember, they cannot say yes, if you do not ask.
5. Research a few law firms. It may be tempting to go with the very first personal injury lawyer that you talk to you but you really need to resist that urge. In the end, that may be the person you hire but you will not know if that is the right person or firm unless you have taken the time to talk to a few law firms and done your research. This is a big decision and you need to find the right lawyer to help with your case.
6. Interview at least three personal injury law firms. All personal injury law firms offer free first time consultations to prospective clients. Take your time and go in and take advantage of the chance to meet with the different law firms. This is the way they do business normally so you should take your time in these meetings. You do not need to make a new best friend but you need to hire an attorney you can communicate with. There are a lot of personal injury lawyers out there so you should not feel that you have to hire one lawyer or another.
7. Ask the right questions. Here are some of the questions you should ask:
- What interested you in this kind of law? You want someone who is passionate about what they do.
- How long have you practiced personal injury law? You need someone with a decent amount of experience.
- How much of your practice is devoted to personal injury law? You do not want to hire someone who has been doing this a decade but now does one case a year.
- What is the bulling structure like? Most personal injury law firms operate on a contingency so they do not not get paid if they lose but there may be other costs associated with your case that you need to understand.