No one expects to be in a major accident with a semi truck but it happens. Every year, in the United States, thousands of people lose their lives in big rig collisions. In fact, at least 98% of all accidents that involve semi trucks end in at least one person dead. If you have been in an accident like this, there are things you need to do to get the best personal injury settlement. Here are a few things that will help you with your case:
- Get medical help immediately. If you are in one of the big rig collisions around the nation, there is a good chance that you will be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Even if you are not, you need to get medical help as soon as you can. You want to do this to get the best care for your injuries, for getting early documentation for your case and to show that you are serious about your injuries. The other side is always going to want to say that you are not as injured as you say you are.
- Get evidence from the scene. Get the names of people who were there. See if you can get the police report. If the driver of the truck was arrested, get all of the information that you can about that person and their case. Take pictures of the vehicles involved. You can use your cell phone for this. If you cannot do this because of your injuries, you can have someone you know do it for you. Once you get a truck accident lawyer, they will handle a lot of this for you but if you have that when you talk to them, it can give them a better idea of what kind of case you have.
- Do not sign anything until you have had a truck accident look it over. The first settlement offer that is typically given after big rig collisions is never the best. Any first offer is not going to be one you are going to want to consider. Other than the fact that there
- Talk to a truck accident law firm or two. All personal injury lawyers have the policy to talk to prospective clients one time for free. You should take the time to interview the personal injury attorneys the way you would conduct a job interview. Here are some questions you should ask:
- How many cases involving big rig collisions have you taken on? Under the umbrella of personal injury law, there are a lot of kinds of cases. You need someone who has a lot of experience with this kind of case.
- How much experience do you have negotiating? At least 98% of these cases are decided in a negotiating room. You need a personal injury lawyer who is good at negotiating.
- How much experience do you have in court? You never want to have to go to court, and the chances are extremely good that you will never go there but if you do end up in court, you need someone who will not act like a deer in the headlights before the judge.
- Why do you practice this kind of law? You want someone who is truly passionate about their job. They have to really be willing to fight for you and your needs. You do not need someone who is just punching a clock.
- What is your billing policy? For the most part, law firms can come up with their own billing policy. Most do not charge a fee unless you win but there may be other costs that you have to pay. Reputable law firms have clear and transparent billing policies and will have no problem making sure you understand them before you hire them. If you cannot get answers from the law firm about this, you should go someplace else.
If you have been in one of the big rig collisions that take place every day, you need to spend your time working on your recovery from your injuries, let your lawyer do what needs to be done to get the best settlement.